Wednesday 10 February 2010

I'm a believer

Thinking about religion and spiritual beliefs in general, and how my automatic response to finding out somebody is a (bona fide) Christian is to assume they're a slightly unhinged virgin, i came to the conclusion that i'm being slightly pessimistic. Firstly i'm no atheist, i like to believe there's more to existance than science can explain and to reduce it all down to numbers and algorithms is depressing in the extreme, and I don't see how conscious life can adequately be explained or understood by the application of science. I also came to the conclusion my closest equivalent to a definite religious or spiritual belief would be my belief in LOVE. I'm a highly cynical person and i don't fall in love easily (or at least not that easily), and most of my life's experiences have gone some way to undermine the concept, but still, against almost any rationale, i believe in it. Maybe i need to, as pathetically and dependently as someone who can't get up in the morning without knowing there's a God. My concept of love is possibly different from most peoples, I'm including both platonic and sexual love when i say it, I also understand that love isn't required for sex, and that it isn't the same thing as simple commitment, that it rarely works conventionally, and that it won't always last (passionately) for a long time. But despite all it's flaws, believing it exists is still probably the only reason I get out of bed in the morning. Well that and cake. And alcohol. Tea...

No comments:

Post a Comment